Monday, January 5, 2009

Barack Obama – A New Hope

I almost didn’t want to write this post before the actual inauguration ceremony out of fear that somehow I might jinx the process or not get to see Barack Obama becoming the next president of the United States actualized – that’s how almost unbelievable it is that we now have an African American President Elect in the United States of America.

I almost expected to wake up from a beautiful dream, so I rationalized how important it is to be extra careful in my musings and excitement so as not to jolt myself back into reality. So sad, but so true.

But in following my heart I began to re-think my reasoning and said to myself, Hey, where’s your hope, lady? I too must have the audacity to hope and to believe that the best is yet to come, don’t I? And so here it is: my celebratory post congratulating Barack Obama on his success and thanking God for the potential mercy extended in his victory.

I’m a little embarrassed to admit that this was the first presidential campaign that I really paid attention to, but on the other hand so glad that this was the election that my political consciousness has awakened to. I’ve been able to witness a political figure that can inspire people and make them smile; that can use words like hope and change in ways that resonate with truth and sincerity. It’s hard to see him in action and not believe that he can make a positive difference in how things work in America and then by extension in the world, no matter how naïve this may sound.

And in spite of the obstacles and major challenges that our new president will face (the economy is still struggling to survive, Israel has recently begun it’s horrible offensive, India and Pakistan are at odds, etc., etc., etc.) the great potential for peace-making instead of warmongering, for generosity of spirit instead of avarice, for honest and open-minded diplomacy and debate instead of tyranny and pseudo fascism should not be underestimated. And as goes the new anthem of my generation, Yes We Can!

My son is 11 years old now, soon to be 12 and I am so glad that he will come of age in a world where one of the most powerful countries on the planet has elected an African American as President. It is encouraging in ways that are difficult to articulate because of the emotions involved but I will try and explain.

For example, as he begins to learn about slavery and the Civil Rights movement in school with a better understanding of what actually occurred, now that he is older, he need not feel trapped or boxed into a legacy of discrimination and brutality. He can discover his own potential, dreams and purpose as he enters adolescence with a living example demonstrating that the sky’s the limit. He can create meaningful friendships and relationships with his peers without as much of the nagging suspicion that he may not be fully accepted for all that he is as an African American man in the country and I am so filled with joy and gladness about this I can hardly contain myself. When I see Barack Obama on the television a find myself smiling and giddy! I only pray that he can live up to the very high expectations that so many of us have concerning him and that God’s grace abounds in these days ahead.

Obama is our New Hope, much like Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars legacy. May he have the strength and wisdom to conquer the dark side and to assist in making this world a better place to live.

May you have a very blessed 2009!

The Mindworks Family

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Reminders

Psalm 145:8-9 The Lord is Gracious and Merciful
The Lord is Gracious and Merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The Lord is good to all, and His Compassion is over all that He has made.

Matthew 11:28 Gentleness and Humility
“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Surah 33:21 Beautiful Pattern of Conduct
Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern of conduct for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of Allah.

Sahih Muslim, Book Unknown: Changing an Evil Action
“Whosoever of you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then with his tongue; and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart; and that is the weakest of faith.”


Bookmark and Share

Reading Recommendations:

Widget_logo

GoodReads

GoodReads
love reading? visit goodreads!

Shelter for Homeless Families

Help for Haiti

Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do